C.) Epstein-Barr virus
D.) Herpes simplex 1 virus
E.) Herpes simplex 2 virus
F.) Influenza A virus
H.) Varicella zoster virus
For each presentation select the most likely virus.
- 4A 38 year old woman who is 2 weeks post renal transplant presents with fever, abdominal pain, decreased urine output and confusion
- 2A10 year old boy presents with a history of fever, malaise, headache and loss of appetite 5 days ago. 2 days ago he developed vesicular rash in places over his trunk. Today his parents have noted he is stumbling and appears dizzy.
- 1A 4 day old girl presents with fever, poor feeding, lethargy and drowsiness. Her lumbar puncture shows a lymphocytosis.
- 3A 17 year old girl presents with fever and sore throat for the last 2 days. She is now having difficulty swallowing and has a white exudate covering her tonsils.
Author: J Haire
Ref: Tintinalli p.1024-30
C.) Genital warts
D.) Lymphogranuloma venereum
F.) Human immunodeficiency virus
G.) Trichomonas vaginalis
For each scenario and picture select the most likely sexually transmitted infection
1. A 34 year old man presents with fever, malaise and a hot, swollen painful joint. He has these lesions on his hands:
2. A 27 year old female presents with 1 week of low grade pelvic pain, dyspareunia, dysuria and this malodorous vaginal discharge.
3. A 28 year old man presented 1 month ago with this painless lesion on his penis. He now has this rash.
4. A 36 year old man presents with this painful lesion on his penis. It started out as a red lesion and now looks like this. He has also noted swelling in his groin.
Author: J Haire
Ref: Tintinalli p.989-99